Sunday, August 20, 2017

Part 6



"One of the best things about being a teacher is that teaching matters and makes a difference. What makes teaching hard is that it matters every day." -Todd Whitaker


Focus on Students First
It is easy to say, "Put kids first," and "Make every decision based on what is best for students," but not all teachers manage to do so.

In his book, Todd focuses on the various types of educators and the vision they may have:

  1. "Superstar" teachers - those educators that look at the whole setting in everything they do, every decision they make
  2. "Backbone" teachers - those solid caring teachers typically have a vision that is limited to his/her own classroom
  3. "Least effective" teachers - those educators that have a narrow vision, only as wide as the mirror on the wall - these teachers ask themselves, "What does this mean for me?"





Consider the scenarios that are mentioned in the book on page 45 regarding Riverdale High and the late notice given the teachers regarding an assembly that will take place that afternoon.  
Which teacher do you relate to?

  1. The teachers that looks at this situation with dismay because your students were going to present projects with costumes that afternoon and you don't want to disappoint them. (Ms. Marvel)
  2. The teacher that is annoyed because your planning time is during the scheduled assembly time. (Mr. Middling)
  3. The teacher that mutters under his/her breath because you teach 5 sections of a class and now you will have to get a DVD for 1 section to watch until you can get them back on the same schedule. (Ms. Mediocre)






Regarding the same situation above, how would the 3 different teachers react if they were given 2 weeks notice regarding the assembly?

Ms. Marvel - asks herself, "I wonder if there is anything I should do to prepare my students?"
Mr. Middling - is still annoyed because it interferes with his planning time
Ms. Mediocre - starts looking for a DVD now so she can keep the section all doing the same thing on the same day.


Which one are you?  
Do your students know which one you are?  
Do your co-workers know?



Whitaker continues to address the focus on students regarding assemblies. He states, "great teachers resist the temptation to socialize when they should be supervising."  Colleagues are the second most important group of people in the school. 


He goes further to address the negative attitudes, statements, and discussions that can tug at teachers.  Although there may be times when it feels good to vent, please remember:  "Teaching is hard enough. Complaining may feel good at the time, but it doesn't make the job any easier." 

Whitaker references the song, "Hotel California" to describe the negative talk that can be detrimental to a positive atmosphere. I have the song here, feel free to listen to some of the lyrics: 
Regarding negative opportunity:  "Any time of year / you can find it here."


Regarding joining the gripe group:  "You can check out any time you want, but you can never leave."


To do:  

Think about the various things discussed above and which educator you identify with the most.  Think about what speaks to who you are and why you do what you do every single day.  

Answer this in the comments section:  
Why did you become an educator?  

21 comments:

  1. I love kids and school! I wanted to make a difference in the world. I am definitely teacher number one and my students would tell you. The down-side of that is that at times I am not as prepared as I should be.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love teaching kids and am blessed when I see the learning going on in their mind. I desire each student to do their best.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's what I've always wanted to do, because of some great teachers that influenced my life. I love kids and thrive off of their energy. I love seeing those light bulb moments and want to make a difference in each child's life in which I come in contact.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love to see the "light bulb" moments. There are no words to describe the feeling of making a difference in kids. It may only be one, but it is worth it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. To be honest - I became a para so that I could be on the same school/work schedule as my girls, and in addition assist other students as they learned. I have found out however that this is one of the most rewarding jobs I have had. I absolutely love connecting with my kids and to try to do what I can to make them successful.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I wish I could figure out how to post pictures on this blog, so I could post the pictures of my high school teachers. After 30 years, they are still hanging out and posting their pictures together on Facebook. As their FB friend, they are still involved in my life. I became a teacher because of these amazing people that have made a difference in my life. I want to give back to students what was given to me.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I became a teacher to be better than most of the teachers that I had growing up. Most of them were cold and uncaring. I try to see my class from the students eyes.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I became a teacher because I realized as a teen and young adult that I really liked kids. They have an energy and curiosity that is contagious, and I really like being around them. They are fun! Every day brings new challenges and joys, and I enjoy helping them learn and understand the natural world around them. Science is my passion, and I love it when they leave at the end of the year and say "science was fun!"

    ReplyDelete
  9. I became a teacher not only because I love kids but also because I wanted to make a positive impact! I had some awesome teachers growing up who inspired me to become a teacher that my students deserve!

    ReplyDelete
  10. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I started as a substitute for extra money. I soon learned how much I love being in education and working in life skills and special ed. when I was offered a para job in life skills I was so excited! I was now able to help the teacher on a daily basis teach these amazing students. I love when the students learn something new and realize they are not any different than the other students in the school. I feel now that this is not just a job it, is a calling for me.

    ReplyDelete
  12. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I have always loved being around children. I started babysitting at a young age and throughout college I was a caregiver for elderly mentally handicapped friends. I have a servant's heart, and like to use my love and talents to help others learn new things.
    Teaching requires flexibility. I have learned to go with the flow over the years. I think I relate best to teacher #1. Each day is different than the day before. I know that teaching children is never going to go exactly as planned. I just tweak my plans and try to get back on schedule as much as possible.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Love of math and wanting students to have a positive experience in a subject that many people have a negative view of. My parents were educators and I saw the life that they lived and the impact they had on students lives. I still find people today that had my dad at Weatherford college for math and say what a great man he is (not just math teacher)

    ReplyDelete
  15. My path in to the teaching profession was different than most. I originally wanted to work in a law office as a paralegal. After graduating with a political science degree, I quickly realized that working in the "big city" was not for me. My mother-in-law (retired teacher) saw something in me that made her think a teaching career might just be a perfect fit, and I have to admit, she was right! I use my "paralegal skills" to investigate the needs of my students by analyzing and dissecting their needs and behavior ;). I love teaching because every day & every year is so different. I've learned to be flexible and a lot more patient with people (students & parents). My daily prayer is to be a teacher that positively affects my students, and they take what they've experienced in our classroom to have positive effects on others. If this happens, my mission will have been accomplished.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I have always had a love for Science and kids. So Science teaching seemed a perfect fit.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Because I love learning. Maybe this all sounds selfish of me, but I was tired of hearing people complain about how much they hated school and how they never learned anything and how it was a complete waste of time. As I have grown, I have watched my peers, my community, and my country turn into self absorbed morons (I know that's not nice, I apologize) with no appreciation for knowledge. When I talked to my peers about their hatred towards school, it always was based on their teachers. I realized that if learning new things is my passion, then I need to share that passion in the most influential place possible: Public school. I know I can't change the world, but if I'm able to impact one child and help them understand the beauty of learning and the power of knowledge, then hopefully they can influence someone too. This is not a change that will happen instantly, but over time. I just want to be that person who helps push over that first domino in a chain reaction.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I became a teacher for two reasons. First, Johnny was already teaching and I saw the joy he had in teaching and how it fit our family. I have always enjoyed being with kids so it was a perfect fit for me as well. I had a lot of experience with kids since I was the oldest sibling, started babysitting at 12 for other people's children, and then 3 of my own that I could use.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I became a teacher because I love kids! I knew early on that I wanted to make a difference in their lives not only academically, but to help influence them in positive ways. I would hope that my students see me as the first teacher, as I think I'm flexible and I can handle unexpected events that may occur. If every day were the same, it would be boring. One of the reasons I love my job is the challenge of making each day special for my students.

    ReplyDelete
  20. I loved kids and wanted to do something to make a difference in people's lives.

    ReplyDelete
  21. I absolutely love that everyday in our room is always different with new challenges to work through, tge "Light Bulb" moments & seeing the compassion our kids have for one another

    ReplyDelete